From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 1997 14:06:31 -0500
>An important article is on the front page, continuing on page 16 of the
>June8, Sunday NY Times.  It reports on the latest statistics, released by the
>UN that estimates 1/3 of infants who are HIV positive became infected through
>breastfeeding.  There is a good discussion about the "battle" between BF
>advocates and formula manufacturers, stressing the advantage of bf in third
>world countries where clean water and infection is a real proble.  The bottom
>line, unfortunately, is that BF is now being recongnized as a means of
>transmission.

This is not new.  It has been know for several years that HIV can be
transmitted through breast milk.

 The article discusses the need to make formula available to
>HIV positive mothers free or, at least at low cost. It mentions that Wyeth,
>division of American Home Products,  is discussing how it could assist in
>this "crisis"..
>What a tragedy!  My first line of action would be to contact the UN for the
>complete report; then to contact all formula companies to urge them to
>provide infant formula without charge through the UN to HIV positive mothers
>in third world countries where the statistics are staggering.

It is my understanding that the World Health Organization has studied the
HIV-transmission through breast milk and the relative risks of morbidity
(sickness) and mortality (death) for children in Third World countries who
are not breastfed and has concluded that the risk of getting HIV via
breastfeeding is still less than the risk of dying from formula use/lack of
breast milk.

To state that another way:

**If you are an HIV positive mother and you live in an industrialized
country, with clean water, immunizations, antibiotics, and formula, then
your choice for the best health of your baby is probably formula (not
breastfeeding).

**If you are an HIV positive mother and you live a less developed country,
with questionable water, no immunizations, no antibiotics, and no formula
(no money to buy, no literacy to read directions, no clear water to mix it
with) then your choice for the best health of your baby is probably
breastfeeding, despite the risks of HIV transmission.

We need to stop and think long and hard before we advocate the mass giveaway
of formula to HIV positive mothers in Third World countries.  Their babies
may not get HIV and die, they'll just die of all the other diseases that are
rampant where they live.  This is not a good solution.
Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology and Nutrition
Texas A&M University