From:
Rhoda Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 13:14:08 -0800
Sarah wrote:
>5- Make sure that there is at least one feeding between midnight and 5
>AM, even if this means that the parents have to set an alarm.

        I rarely recommend an alarm clock as it is so disruptive. I suggest
the mother drink copiously before going to bed. Almost without exception the
mother will wake between midnight and 5am to go to the bathroom.  This
waking is gentle/non obtrusive, does not wake the partner and the fluid
helps with hydration.  The mothers get very good at judging the amount they
need to drink to wake at a particular time. If they drink too much they wake
too quickly, too little they don't wake at all.  Some can time it almost to
the minute, and can vary their intake by how much they have had to drink
during the day. In most cases 1 litre/16oz is a good starting point. I
recommend water over juice or milk, although some choose instant coffee
substitutes such as INKA or CAF-LIB using a very dilute mix. Some women will
not wake by this method, no matter how much they drink, usually they will
tell you in advance. Others need very little. So it is just a suggestion and
worth a try before using the alarm.
        I am not sure where this idea originated, but I know it came from a
conference many, many years ago as I have been using it for over 15 years.
--"Without interest and passion nothing great has ever happened in history.
Hegel"
               Rhoda Taylor, B.A., IBCLC   Duncan, B.C., Canada--