From:
Pearl Shifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 21:40:26 PST
Is there any cause to worry about a six week old baby, discharge weight
was 6 lb. 2 oz, is now  8 lb. and some ozs. (sorry, I forgot how many
ozs but less than 8.).
She doesn't open wide at the breast, doesn't get a good mouthful (her
mouth felt kind of small to me, using a gloved finger, she didn't gag,
but her oral cavity seemed smallish, the hard palate felt low) and only
sucks and swallows vigorously for maybe 3-5 minutes, if that much. She
loves holding the breast in her mouth, flutter sucking, and screams blue
murder if you take her off! While she's on, she does very little active
sucking and swallowing. She looks petite, but very alert and bright
eyed. The pediatrician is having a fit about this baby.
When we had her off the breast and she was merely looking around the room
with great interest, she did open her mouth and stick her tongue way out!
Mom's breasts are perfectly average, not too big, nipples also seem very
normal. She is NOT experiencing any pain, no trauma to the nipples, they
don't get squashed in any way, just nicely elongated. I was able to
express a nice stream of milk along with some big drops.  Baby is
wetting and stooling nicely.(at least 4 BM's a day)
What's going on with this little girl?
Thanks for any input.
Pearl Shifer, IBCLC