Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kirsten Berggren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2004 11:16:24 -0400
I'm hoping coffee has no caffiene after the third cup, myself, or I'll be
up all night!  So let's say, just hypothetically, that breastmilk had no
special immune properties or protective effects after a year, that it
became just plain old milk.  I think this ped would be hard pressed to
demonstrate that it had no calories or vitamins or fat - so why not just
drink it anyway, even if it is "just milk"?  Mom and baby enjoy the
experience, it is calming for the child, relaxing for mom, what on earth
could be the harm??

People are frightened by that which is foreign to their own experience.
The ped doesn't see moms nursing past a year - so figures it must be right
to stop...  who knows.

On another topic, I've been thinking so much about that missing "something"
that causes a mom to choose not to breastfeed when she actually has the
information.  One point I'm sure is correct is lack of confidence.  Another
may be the perception of the "type" of mom who breastfeeds.  I actually
heard a mother say "I'm not the breastfeeding type" (to mean what, she's
not the type to want the best for her baby?? - but I digress).  I think we
need to be watchful of our portrayal of the "breastfeeding type", not to
make it too exclusive.  Where is the portrayal of the mom in head-to-toe
polyester shopping at Wal-Mart breastfeeding?  How about the perfectly
coiffed soccer-mom head-to-toe in Ann Taylor, dyed hair, makeup and
manicured?  They're out there, and should become a part of the image we're
portraying if breastfeeding is to be more mainstream.  Sorry for the
stereotypes - just trying to get a point across...
Once a woman breastfeeds, she may decide she prefers natural fibers and
whole foods, and she may feel beautiful enough as a woman to stop wearing
make-up - but this isn't where she is when she's making the decision, so we
need to look at the pre-baby person and try to reach her.

How'd that soapbox sneak up on me?  I'll climb down now.

Kirsten Berggren
Self-trained lactavist and working, home-birthing, suit-wearing, crunchy-
conformist tandem-nursing mother to 2 breastfed babies.