HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 21:42:28 -0400
Off the top of my head:

The Rufus King Manor, Jamaica, Queens (signer of the Constitution misspelled
Rufas by the NY City street signage makers like Bleeker which should be
Bleecker a famous shipper) has an oven sticking out the back wall of its
hearth. Is this an outdoor oven?

The Irionmaster's House at the Hopewell Village Foundry, in Pennsylvania, was
investigated years ago for it's "summer kitchen" and I distinctly remember
the beehive oven being a stand alone (then) out in back of the house. The
research then was to see if the house was placed over the remains of the
first "cabin" and if any of it remained.

Other beehive ovens I have seen perhaps such as at the Captain Brewster
Hawkins House, Setauket, NY may have had outside access as the addition to
the house was placed directly opposite the hearth (?)

So what was outside is now inside, or perhaps inside out.

George Myers