HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mary Beaudry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 15:41:36 -0400
Perhaps a thread on this topic happened when I had my account set to
nomail in earlier summers when I was actually in the field, but I'll
ask anyway.

Has anyone found remains of outdoor bread ovens at Anglo sites of the
colonial period?  I have a query from an architectural historian who
has uncovered textual references to construction of ovens and an
"oven sheed" but all the excavated examples we know of come from
sites occupied by French, Italian, or German colonists.  I figure in
New England we seldom have enough of the site left in urban areas to
really find everything that was in the original homelot, but perhaps
someone has come up with evidence we can muster to clarify the
documents and satisfy curiousity?

Best,
Mary B.

--