HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2007 16:32:40 EDT
Could the flattened ammunition shell casings have simply been crushed by
vehicular traffic? As to the kid theory, I recall a friend back in the late
1950s used to place firecrackers in expended 30-.06 shells (aimed the firing pit
side at a target) and the explosion shot the shell like a rocket. The other
"fun" thing he did was hammer over the opening slightly, fill the shell with
black powder and then screw a glow plug to the crimped end, buried the lethal
shell in a fox hole in an empty lot, attached a 100-foot long wire and closed
his garage door over the wires, to which he attached to a model train
transformer. The evil kid then detonated the charge and quickly pulled the wire
into the garage and waited for the police, firemen, and other panicked neighbors
to come running. He never go caught and was never hurt. Then he collected the
 debris and eventually dumped it out back. My point here? kids like to play
with  old bullet shells, even if a truck squashed them.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.