HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 13:21:36 EST
At one point in time, I surveyed a quadrant down the center of the valley
east of Jacumba. I think we marked it 100-feet wide by 1,000-feet and made
certain to cross the creek and uplands to pass through as broad a range of
ecological habitats and geological landforms. I recall finding a former mining  site
that I had detected in my literature search, but all that was present  during
the survey was distrubed earth, broken glass, and the road systems. I
suppose anyone could have introduced your lead weight.

As recently as 20-years ago, there were a group of cannon buffs who filled
beer cans with cement and fired them out of those small cannons that were
originally used to shoot lines between ships at sea. I suppose those clowns  could
have fired lead balls too. Oh yes, and I recall they fired tennis balls  just
for kicks.

Jacumba is a funny place because of the many activities that have occurred
out there and yet, so little has survived. I seem to recall they were after
feldspar for industrial applications at the mine. There are soapstone mines to
the north and a mica mine to the northeast. Several railroad construction
projects went through the area and Hurricane Kathleen in 1979 blew out all the
rails and stripped away much of the surface archaeology in one huge flash
flood.  Task Force 6, an early version of Homeland Security bulldozed a road
through the  historic village of Jacum, where the McCain family massacred a large
family of  Kumeyaay people in the 1880s. When you add-in the smugglers,
border-crossers,  U.S. Border Patrol, and swarms of federal investigators along the
Border, it is  truly amazing that anything archaeological survives.

Oh, and another curious site lies due north of Jacumba. It is a
concentration of about twenty rock piles in a small valley. It is more obvious  from the
ridge above that it is from below. I could not determine if it was  historic or
prehistoric.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.

In a message dated 2/5/2008 8:45:10 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,