From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 1998 13:35:57 -0800
Murray,
The point is that the standards are really unattainable for honey production. If
you apply the same criteria for organic honey that is allowed for farm animals
and produce you would arrive at a workable standard. But that is not the case
here.
In the case of farm animals and produce, you have had decades to develop working
standards for organic produce. States certify organic farms based on those long
standing standards. Those are the framework for the government standards- except
for honey. To my knowledge thare has been no such standard up to two or so years
ago, then it came out of the blue. There has been no long period, like farms
had, to see if it works and modify it into something that keeps the product
"organic" while allowing common sense to prevail. Instead, it will come from the
government as a regulation with no prior trial period.
By the way, I employ "organic" practices in my garden and fruit orchard, but I
am in violation in one instance, because I use a manufactured pesticide. I use
it because it is weaker and less harmful to the environment than the ones I
could use as an organic farmer.
Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME