From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 1998 11:13:57 -0800
Both Mary and Murray wrote of organic organizations that set honey standards and
showed that they can work.
Don't disagree. But this is a US government standard. I worked in the US government
and know that regulations can take on a life of their own. Plus, you do not know
the power that obscure GS-11's like to exert when backed by some new regulation.
And they never die (the reg, not the GS-11.). But they do expand (both this time-
need more GS-11s to enforce the expanded regulation).
In Maine we have a strong organic organization with farm organic standards- both
veggies and farm animals. The standards have evolved with time to reflect good
organic practice and attainability. For example, using their guidelines antibiotics
can be used on farm animals . The Maine honey standards are not realistic but, in
time they would be modified to reflect attainable, good practices.
That sort of common sense evolution is unlikely with a government regulation.
Unless you have the means to influence the "process".
Where is Tom Jefferson when you need him?
Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME