From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 11:46:48 -0600
Hello Allen & All,
We have been using the bleach solution in two ways this winter . I am using
the solution on dysentery stains on dead outs which I have done before with
excellent results.  My bees were treated with Fumidil B so I am surprised to
see the dysentery problems but believe the dysentery was caused by long
periods of confinement and not by Nosema.  Not wanting to risk nosema I
clean with the solution of bleach. I am not rinsing and using the same
solution I would to disinfect extractors etc..
One of my beekeeping friends which had the AFB problem I wrote about in
spring posts has been  washing down boxes, lids and bottoms with the bleach
solution instead of burning or scorching.  In a unheated area the solution
stays wet for much longer than the twenty minutes required BUT does it
penetrate enough?  I don't believe he is reusing any of the frames but four
of the area beekeepers are meeting tomorrow at a restaurant to discuss
beekeeping issues and I will find out for you. We won't know till late
spring if the bleach solution worked for AFB reinfection. Since we don't
have any treatment for AFB to use we should see if the bleach worked pretty
fast.

   Any  comments on the condition of the combs after?
I don't know if he is doing combs. I will make a point of finding out
tomorrow and get back to you.
  Any need to rinse?
I don't believe he is but will find out. I believe the bleach solution
disapates after awhile on woodenware but will find out.
What do  the bees think about this?
I have never had a problem with areas I have disenfected but have never done
wax frames. I have always burned and scorched in my operation. I hope the
bleach solution  works because I believe I might have done the original
Bee-L post about using bleach when I came across the fact doing other
research. I don't really care about the looks of scorched equipment in a
operation but when selling bee equipment many beekeepers will not buy ANY
bee equipment out of a outfit when they see one piece with tell tale burn
marks. On the other hand ( I like to always show both sides of the issue)
knowledgeable beekeepers see that the beekeeper saw the problem and solved
the problem. Burned the frames and scorched the equipment.
Bob