From:
"W. Allen Dick" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 11:33:37 -0500
On Sat, 20 Nov 1999 13:44:16 +1300, Cliff Van Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

(The article is available in full at
http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9911C&L=bee-l&P=R1868 )

> I can assure readers that the ability of bleach
> (sodium hypochlorite) to kill AFB spores is not an urban legend.

> "Sodium hypochlorite is a commonly used sterilising agent, and is
> one of the few disinfectants that is effective against AFB spores.
> Sodium hypochlorite is the active ingredient in household bleach,
> and is present in such products at about 3% concentration. Research
> conducted at Ruakura has shown that concentrations of 0.5% sodium
>  hypochlorite in water will kill all AFB spores in 20 minutes.

Has anyone been following this up?  Has anyone been using bleach?  Any
comments on the condition of the combs after?  Any need to rinse?  What do
the bees think about this?

allen