From:
"David. E. Goble" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 1996 00:03:52 -0400
>I caught a swarm a couple weeks ago and started feeding it syrup with a
>division board feeder. They were taking the syrup real fast and making
>nice white comb just like a swarm.
>
>When I went to fill the feeder again there were many bees at the bottom of
>the feeder licking the remaining syrup up.  I poured the syrup on top of
>them expecting them to float or crawl to the top. Most of them did just
>that.
>
>Ispent at least 2 minutes looking for eggs etc., and before closing the
>hive looked in the feeder. There were still some bees crawling on the
>screened sides of the feeder fully submerged walking up and down the
>screen in a very undistressed manner.
>
>Can a bee hold its breath? Or had an air bubble formed over each spiracle?
>How did they do that?
>
>Eventually they came to the top and went about their business.
>
>Ann Dougherty
>Kirkland, WA. usa

Hi Ann,

        Bees are an insect or in scientific terms an invertebrate, their
breathing system is similar to a crabs. As you are aware a crab can stay
under water and sand. Therefore bees can for a time also stay under water,
but eventually their internal food supply is affected and they die. ( So yes
they can scuba dive).
Thanks from :
                 http://www.eastend.com.au/~goble
            [log in to unmask] ( David Goble )
           American Beach Kangaroo Island South Australia