Reply To:
Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 1996 21:38:54 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I caught a swarm a couple weeks ago and started feeding it syrup with a         
division board feeder. They were taking the syrup real fast and making          
nice white comb just like a swarm.                                              

When I went to fill the feeder again there were many bees at the bottom of      
the feeder licking the remaining syrup up.  I poured the syrup on top of        
them expecting them to float or crawl to the top. Most of them did just         
that.                                                                           

Ispent at least 2 minutes looking for eggs etc., and before closing the         
hive looked in the feeder. There were still some bees crawling on the           
screened sides of the feeder fully submerged walking up and down the            
screen in a very undistressed manner.                                           

Can a bee hold its breath? Or had an air bubble formed over each spiracle?      
How did they do that?                                                           

Eventually they came to the top and went about their business.                  

Ann Dougherty                                                                   
Kirkland, WA. usa                                                               

ATOM RSS1 RSS2