From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2012 22:39:20 -0500
Hello All,

If anyone is interested,  I have the completed the
manuscript on the year of phenomenal weather;
1816.  I could not locate much information concerning
beekeeping in that year.  I did, howerver, located
references on bees from Isaac Espinasse,  Robert Huish
and some misc. accounts from England and Switzerland.

I was interested in what affect the cold weather
may have had on the introduction of wax worm
into America which occurred between 1800 and
1806.  I did find evidence which may suggest wax
moth spread was greatly slowed, and took 4 times
longer to spread between the cold period which lasted
from 1811 to 1817.  But I did not enter this information
into the manuscript, because I felt the evidence was
not powerful enough to make the conclusion that the
cold period was the cause.

I did conclude the weather during 1816 must have been
devastating to some areas, and beneficial to other
regions.   New England must have experienced great mortality,
and bee hardship must have been felt as far south
as North Carolina.  Europe experienced bee hardship,
as well as great devastation in some regions.

I have decided to let the reader make the determination
as to what effect the weather may have had on
bees by creating a calendar of events for the year, located
in Part IV ~  A Calendar of Events for 1816.  This, information
is referenced from some 38 sources.   The calendar of events,
contains some descriptions of the phenomenal weather and
hardships experienced by the people across the northern
hemisphere in the year 1816.

The manuscript can be located in the files section,
as well as the archive at this site.

Best Wishes,
Joe Waggle