From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 11:50:18 -0600
>    Bees will usually clean out the residue from extraction
>    (including some granulated honey), if the wet supers are placed
>    above an inner cover (or add an empty box above the inner cover,
>    too). It's an easy thing to do, and reduces the granulation
>    problem next year, if the honey in your area is prone to
>    granulate.

<etc.>

I realise that this is a problem for some, but we never worry about it
in the least.

If we have any granulation, we uncap it, spread it out  -- several
frames per super --  throughout our supers and then put it away for
the winter.

In the spring we try to put the heavier boxes on as thirds, but
sometimes they do go on as fourths.

In any case, we try to get them on a little early. The new nectar
dilutes and dissolves it, I guess, and being close to the brood area,
it gets warmed up.  Come extracting time we never find any of the old
granulation.

In stubborn cases, try placing three or four granulated combs in the
third directly above the brood.  Bees typically clear this area of
honey in hopes the queen may lay there.

We bought an outfit this year that had a lot of granulation in the
supers and, yet we have very little coming back in this fall.

We use no special measures to deal with the granulation.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper
VE6CFK RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask] Honey. Bees, & Art
<http://www.internode.net/~allend/>