From:
Nick Wallingford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 20:20:59 +1100
>    As was mentioned, however, sometimes the bees consolidate or add to the
>    little bit of honey, leaving patches of honey in the supers, too little
>    to bother extracting.
>
>    In this case, and even though it is a bother, you can scratch open any
>    capped cells and put the partly filled supers UNDER the brood nest. I
>    got this advice from an experienced beekeeper, and haven't done it
>    often, but the couple of times I've tried it, the bees removed the honey
>    completely. As the fall brood emerges, it leaves space for storage.
>    Remove the cleaned supers when it's barely warm enough that bees can
>    still fly home. (before it gets too cold).

Here in New Zealand, another trick I've seen is to place a piece of
sacking that is smaller than a box size below the box(es) with
scraps of honey (again, make sure they've been scratched to expose
the honey).  The sacking should be about 30-50mm (1 1/2 to 2 inches)
smaller on each side, so the bees can come up from around the sides.
The cluster won't move up there, and the bees will just 're-pack' the
bits of honey around the broodnest area.

  (\      Nick Wallingford
 {|||8-   home [log in to unmask]
  (/      work [log in to unmask]
NZ Beekeeping http://www.wave.co.nz/pages/nickw/nzbkpg.htm