From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 08:31:10 -0400
[log in to unmask] asked about a tool or machine made in Italy for
applying atomized powdered sugar.

joe carson [mailto:[log in to unmask]] replied:

I have imported them in the past.  The market is not that strong so not
financially worth the investment at this time.  They do come from Italy
and are used in much of Central Europe.  I teach the use of them in
Italy, Croatia, Slovenia, etc.
You prop up the hive top lid about an inch or so.  I use a closet rod
dowel.  Insert the flared tip of the bellows operated (similar to a fire
place bellows) extension into the bottom entrance and manipulate the
bellows the appropriate number of times to "poof" inject the powered
sugar into the hive.  With the top propped up, you will see the powered
sugar cloud coming out the top immediately.  It takes me perhaps 10
seconds per hive.  The smaller model bellows operated duster holds
enough powered sugar to dust about three hives before needing filling.
There are three sizes available which have a greater capacity.  Also I
am working on an air compressor model with large reservoir which could
be truck mounted.

We have had great results using this method.

With the cost of product, shipping, non-attentive attitude of
manufacturer, and the American market, I have looked in other areas for
a similar product with little success.

I have mine for my operation and they work great.

Joe Carson
Alaska Heavenly Honey
NOZEVIT.com