From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:57:16 -0700
Peter:
> The old Lamarkian epithet doesn't hold as much power due to the dawn of the
> study of epigenetics

Absolutely right, Pete, thanks.

I'm currently traveling with a powerpoint presentation on thoughts
about bee breeding, which I've been updating each time I give it.

Epigenetics are clearly a factor to consider, especially with regard
to the effect of colony (or queen) exposure to stresses (temperature,
nutrition, parasite, chemical) and the duration of subsequent
epigenetic effects.

A major point is that exposure of a colony to a parasite might prime
subsequent generations for resistance to that parasite:
Trans-generational immune priming in a social insect
Ben M. Sadd , et al
Detecting functional homology between invertebrate and vertebrate immunity is of
interest in terms of understanding the dynamics and evolution of immune systems.

"Trans-generational effects on immunity are well known from
vertebrates, but their
existence in invertebrates remains controversial. Earlier work on
invertebrates has
interpreted increased offspring resistance to pathogens as
trans-generational immune
priming. However, interpretation of these earlier studies involves
some caveats and thus
evidence for a direct effect of maternal immune experience on
offspring immunity is still
lacking in invertebrates. Here we show that induced levels of
antibacterial activity are
higher in the worker offspring of the bumblebee, Bombus terrestris L.,
when their mother
queen received a corresponding immune challenge prior to colony founding. "

Environmental stress on other organisms has been demonstrated to alter
the morphology or physiology of of subsequent generations (for a
number of generations).  No one knows whether this is occurring in
bees.  No one knows if certain pesticides may have an effect upon
subsequent generations of bees!

To me, this knowledge certainly supports the concept of challenging
breeder colonies with parasite stress (survivor-type yards).

Randy Oliver