From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2012 22:53:15 -0600
Hello John & All,
I will say a few words about Roy.
I never met Roy but have read all his (and Yolanda Lehner's ) papers.
Roy was convinced HFCS was bad for bees. I only had casual interest in
1974-77 when they did their articles. Mostly because we were pumping huge
amounts of HFCS to bees with excellent results.

Then my wife came to me at an ABF convention and said a Dr. Pamela Gregory
wanted to speak with me. We met and Pamela and I sat down for a long
conversation. it seems not long after she arrived at the Weslaco Bee Lab she
was reading old ABJ in the bee labs library and she came across Roy Barkers
1974 article. Pamela asked if I had read the article. I said I had read all
his articles. I said I wasn't convinced. Then Pamela said she had performed
the exact same experiments with the same results as Roy & Yolanda did.

I was interested then so I traveled to Weslaco to look over her study
myself. The bee lab and Pamela gave me permission to publish her results.
The makers & sellers of HFCS came down hard on her results. I felt sorry for
Pamela as all she did was repeat Roy Barkers published experiments and I
published (with USDA-ARS permission) her results.

Dr. Gregory was told to drop her study of HFCS and study small hive beetle
and some efforts were made to discredit me (which was kind of a joke with
commercial beeks).

I write the above partly for Randy Oliver as Randy is not afraid to do a
study and report the findings whatever they may be. I have watched the
USDA-ARS researchers for decades and admire researchers like Dr. Roy Barker
& Dr. Pamela Gregory which are willing to publish their findings despite
beekeeping politics.

Dr. Roy Barker rest in Peace!

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

Not sure from memory what year I did the American Bee Journal article  on
Weslaco Bee Lab & the HFCS research but I believe April or may of 2007?