From:
Brian Gant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 04:38:20 -0500
The question of non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) affecting
beekeepers' immunity from stings came up in the UK in 1985.
The following year the Committee on Safety of Medicines asked all
practising doctors to report any such incidents. By 1993 no reports had
been received and a search of the literature also gave no references.
This information comes from Dr Harry Riches whose opinions on reactions to
stings are widely respected here.
My local pharmacist sought the advice of the local hospital to check for
any more recent reports and they have not found anything.
Curiously the topic has just cropped up again in the UK, raised by someone
who has seen a 1986 report but not the later report. Do you ever feel that
beekeeping discussions go round in circles, until something really new,
like varroa, comes up?
If a NSAID were prescribed for me then I would be inclined to ask if there
was an equally good alternative, just in case.
Brian Gant