From:
Dave Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 13:51:46 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Gant
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>The question of non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) affecting
>beekeepers' immunity from stings came up in the UK in 1985.
>The following year the Committee on Safety of Medicines asked all
>practising doctors to report any such incidents. Curiously the topic has just cropped up again in the UK, raised by someone
>who has seen a 1986 report but not the later report. Do you ever feel that
>beekeeping discussions go round in circles,

They certainly seem to Brian, and I am even responsible for contributing
to this one, thanks for responding. For a couple of years now I have
heard this discussed (even on Bee-l recently) but not seen a definitive
denial of the suggestion and  the type of contra-indications given by
the British National Formulary are not inconsistent with a link. I know
two doctors that haven't checked when prescribing Ibuprofen, they may
have decided its unecessary I don't know. The problem is that with each
new intake of apprentice beekeepers who ask we have to advise them on
how likely this is and the later committee's view does not seem to be
well known, none of the beekeepers committee members or lecturers who
are advising novices know of it. Consequently I thought it a good
opportunity for the BBKA (who ought to know ) to either offer a good
considered response like yours or shoot it down in flames in a public
arena. Is it easy to direct people to Dr Richers findings and would he
or you (or me when I know what I'm talking about!) write to Beecraft and
express precisely that view if the BBKA don't respond ?

--
Dave Black
Blacks Bee Gardens,