Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2013 13:28:56 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
> It's kind of funny that many people decry the government and regulation then demand bans on certain things.

Right, regulate them but not me. Obviously, the free market is the place to sell things. The need to regulate it often arises in the cases where it is not free, such as when there are cartels, price fixing, collusion; various abuses.  

Regulations are simply laws governing the conduct of the members of a society, which we agree upon by voting. Things like the EPA, the NSA, the FDA, are not constructed to destroy liberty but to protect it. Naturally, they require power to act. 

When power is given to people, they tend to abuse it. But to blame the free market, or regulations, for particular abuses and injustices, is to act as if these are independent entities. 

These are people, who are dealing with other people, either fairly or not. To rail on against particular institutions is to distract from the real issue: how we treat each other. I naturally want liberty for myself, but not at the expense of others'.

Pete

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2