From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2024 23:58:49 -0300
wasn't sure if send this here or start a new subject or send it as part of
the do bees feel pain, what ever ...

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mila.12498

“All animals are conscious”: Shifting the null hypothesis in consciousness
science

Abstract

The marker approach is taken as best practice for answering the *distribution
question*: Which animals are conscious? However, the methodology can be
used to increase confidence in animals many presume to be unconscious,
including *C. elegans*, leading to a trilemma: accept the worms as
conscious; reject the specific markers; or reject the marker methodology
for answering the distribution question. I defend the third option and
argue that answering the distribution question requires a secure theory of
consciousness. Accepting the hypothesis *all animals are conscious* will
promote research leading to secure theory, which is needed to create
reliable consciousness tests for animals and AIs. Rather than asking the
distribution question, we should shift to the *dimensions question*: How
are animals conscious?