From:
Don Semple <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2012 13:47:09 -0500

> > With the great ability of viruses to mutate, seems to me with RNAi
> technology we are just going to be breeding super viruses and pests that
> will only be able to be further controlled with more use of this same
> technology.

>>The most direct way to breed for super viruses is to pack a large number of
>hosts in close proximity.  Commercial beekeeping exactly fits the bill.

Agreed, but now with the advent of RNAi technology viruses will be mutating not in response to the genetic changes in the host, but from man-made stimuli’s. In other words the viruses will keep adapting, but our bees won't be.

>>FWIW, I am not recommending that every beekeeper start dumping RNA products
>into their hives.  I personally seek out and  breed from survivor colonies
>in yards that have crashed. --Randy Oliver

I'm heartened that good men and women like you see the ramifications and are in the loop of this products development.

Thanks for your hard work,

Don