From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2012 14:29:50 -0500
> the long-term effects for continuing the propping up of weak bee genetics isn't doing our bees any favors.

Well, this a major conundrum of any breeding schemes: as we breed to suit ourselves, we lose the original characters. That's why a lot of emphasis is being place on conserving heirloom seeds, and preventing extinction of little known and poorly understood species.

I think one has to separate out keeping bees for financial gain vs. preserving honey bee races for the future. In the field of animal husbandry, we want the most economical bees.

That is, the highest return for the lowest input. Obviously, prevention and treatment of disease is very expensive. So, one way to go would be to forego this expense and get what returns one could. It is a paying proposition for some folks. Especially those that collect bees for replacements.

But the preservation of honey bees in their native regions is a separate issue. I think it's a great idea and I also think that having honey bee preserves in this country and others where the bee has been introduced is also a great idea. But it would cost, not pay.

PLB