From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2012 16:51:56 -0500
> What makes you think that the rate of virus mutation will have anything to do with man-made stimuli?  The ssRNA viruses already mutate at an extremely high rate naturally

This is true, but don't forget that there are plenty of examples of human interference gone awry. For example, the pressure of excessive antibiotic use in man and animals has led to bugs resistant to antibiotics, to the extent that we could be returned to the era when people got infections and died as a routine.

If we lose the use of cheap antibiotics like penicillin many people who cannot afford costlier new generation drugs may die. Further, as every beekeeper knows, even ordinary introductions and breeding projects can have disastrous consequences, such as Kerr's introduction of honey bees into Brazil.

Of course, one could point out that all of these are natural consequences. And from the standpoint of bacteria, this is just business as usual, been there, done that. Antibiotic resistance in bacteria was always there, even before we co-opted antibiotics for our own use. Bacteria use these toxins against each other.

The only thing that changes is our perception of what is natural, what is good, & what is a threat. Germs and poisons are just as natural as Mom and apple pie.

PLB