Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 21:33:38 -0400
>You mean that they *don't* breastfeed and they *don't* use formula, but they
>use cow's milk instead?

Quebec's breastfeeding initiation rate hovers between 48-50%.  Except of
course in our BFH! =D  They may bfeed or use formula, but most people are
weaning to cow milk at 3-6 months.  It's a rare baby not on cow milk here
by 6 months.

>But what is wrong with this??  Whole cow's milk
>feeds, with extra water given between feeds, or whole cow's milk-water-sugar
>are two of the options given in the UNAIDS HIV and Infant Feeding Guidelines
>- I guess because they are less-expensive alternatives to commercially
>manufactured infant formula.  You mean these are *not OK
>breastmilk-substitutes for young babies??

It is to my limited understanding that babies are not to be given whole
milk before one year.  that if no breast milk (in any form, source, pumped,
or donated) is not available, that if clean facilities exist it is
preferable to use a commercial artificial milk than to use cow milk.  It
was to my understanding that babies on whole milk did substantially worse
than their counterparts on commercial formulas.

In personal experience with my own bottlefed child, he was about 14-15
months before whole straight milk did not cause him tummy upset and gas and
constipation.  He was able to tolerate regular commercial artificial
breastmilk well though.

In a culture where bottlefeeding is not the norm to begin with, there is
little danger in not donating formula.  People will breastfeed, because
they know to breastfeed.  I am not as confident about taking away free
formula equaling breastfeeding in a culture where bottlefeeding is the
norm.  my thoughts are they'd just put something else in those bottles.
It's common even today on pregnancy email lists and bulletin boards for
someone to ask "my mom told me you can make formula much cheaper, something
with evaporated milk and karo syrup, anyone know how?".

I personally think a change will not come about until it comes from HCPs.
OBs, Peds, GPs, L&D RNs, Midwives (some are not that pro-breast and some
have shameful lack of knowledge on bfeeding) etc.  Until HCPs stop handing
out formula and stop telling people how to make it and stop telling women
it's ok, WIC stopping will not do a thing IMHO.  People bottlefed long
before WIC started handing it out for free.

-wendey (Studying LC in Montreal, former WIC mom when living in the US but
never took the formula)