From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 15:12:04 PDT
Hi
You know I've posted in the past about Dr. Dean Edell, a physician
broadcaster w/ a radio show and now healthcentral.com website. Today on the
radio his last call was from a mom of a 5 mo old teether and bf'er who has
begun biting. His response started out good with "when baby bites and mom
says ow! and pulls away baby will learn not to bite" adding this usually is
self-limiting or short-lived. But then he added that there may be a salve or
ointment that can be used to protect the nipples from future biting, and
that some exercises maybe could be done to toughen the nipples. Then he
admitted that he was just "winging it" w/ his answer, as he and other
doctors don't know anything about bf. He said he got NO educ. at all in med
school but learned as a father. He said docs in general and including
pediatricians are "flying by the seat of their pants" when answering bf
questions. He referred the mom to LLL and/or to a lactation consultant,
saying LCs are a very "underutilized" profession.
As I've said before, he is very supportive of bf. I noted his address is in
California USA, so if any group there has a bf friendly award, he should be
considered, imho.

Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Violet Louisiana, s.e. USA