Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 08:51:41 EDT
"Only Intense Breastfeeding May Ensure Health Benefits"  This is the title of
an article in Medela's Summer 1999 Rental Roundup, which I received in the
mail only yesterday.  The article is a review of  "a large new study which
suggests that giving babies just a bit of breast milk may not give them any
protection against common infections, as mothers might hope."  The study was
published in The American Journal of Public Health (no mention of which
issue.)  It says that The University of Michigan looked at government data on
more than 7000 infants.
During the 15 years that I have been working with breastfeeding women, I have
always told them that breastfeeding does not have to be "all or nothing."  I
have always believed that even a little breastmilk is better than none at
all. The article says, "Although some people suggest that a little breastmilk
is bertter than none at all, there has not been much evidence to support that
theory."  It says that "babies who received less than half of their nutrients
from breast milk had no fewer infections than babies who received no
breastmilk at all.  The article says for more information on the study,
contact Jeanne Raisler, University of Michigan School of Nursing or refer to
the American Journal of Public Health.  Has anyone read the original article?
 I find this new information very disturbing.
Cher Sealy, RN, BSN, IBCLC, LLLL
Montgomery, Alabama