Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 20:36:08 +0100
Maurenne writes: "My brain says it may be just the developmental stage she is
at-I don't know.  My heart says she is thriving because she's getting the
milk straight from me.  I don't believe she got the same amount of cuddle
time and attention at day care as she has with me now."

Your heart and your brain are both right, Maurenne, and your loving arms
and your milk are right there to support and nurture  the developmental
stage she is at....

I am very perturbed by a trend everywhere to make it 'easier' for women to
take hours and hours away from their still- little babies and 'allow' them
to pump and store at work....it is enormously pressurising for mothers, it
often stops being effectve after a while and mothers find it harder and
harder to pump the same volumes. Then, someone else who (let's face it)
doesn't really care a whole lot about your particular, unique and special
baby is feeding this hard-won fluid not from a warm breast with its
heartbeat and its responsive flow, with its accompanying smiles and loves,
but  from a plastic and rubber receptacle.

Okay, it's feeding, but it sure as eggs ain't *breastfeeding*.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK