From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:51:45 -0500
I too was very disappointed in the breastfeeding article in the Newseek
Special Edition on women's health care! Just the title - Nursing Trouble -
was pretty darn distressing. With all the new research and information on
positive aspects of breastfeeding, why focus on THIS? Guess you're right,
the horror stories sell more magazines, but it does a grave diservice to
women and babies.

Maybe the fact that there was only this one very short article in the whole
issue, while there were many pages devoted to menopause, depression, HRT,
and other health issues that related more to us aging baby-boomers says
something about who their readership is! Must be they don't expect too many
"Gen-X"ers to read it! But one thing I'm sorry about in their choice of BF
topic is that a lot of school kids use Newsweek as a source of information
for school reports, papers, etc. I'd hate for them to be getting this info
about BF, without more of the positive stuff as well.

Anyone out there know how to get an article published in mags that teen
girls read? Or those science magazines for kids? I'll write it!

Cathy Bargar, RN, IBCLC Ithaca NY