From:
keithandkids <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 01:01:59 -0500
I keep hearing from everybody here about this smoking and breastfeeding
issue. Hasn't anyone besides me associated the relationship of a parent
smoking and a child later smoking. Aren't there already studies that show
that this is a factor. The fact as to whether the mother also breastfeeds
really doesn't enter the picture. Lucky is that child who's mother even
though she smoked cared enough to breastfeed. We all also know the stats on
the length of time that smokers nurse their babies being somewhat shorter. I
can also recall from summer before last, 97 LLLI international Conference in
DC, a presentation on the flavors that mothers presented their children with
from the scents and foods that BF mothers were exposed to. Within a few
minutes of being exposed to a scent that the mother breathed in, her milk
was then flavored by it. The studies many of which where conducted on cattle
of course originally, where always fascinating to me. The information about
these are contained in the bibliography that was given out to those of use
who registered for CEU's. (I could find it if I looked and some one really
needs it, but it's not handy at the moment.) I also always thought, we all
seem to really enjoy the taste of a nice cold glass of milk from the frig.
but what does that really say about all of us? Because guess what scent that
cow stood around breathing in all day.
Dee Keith, IBCLC< LLLL< mother of ten