From:
"carol.lesperance" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 13:37:09 -0500
Loni, Your situation illustrates what I have found so frustrating for the
many years I have been a nurse--nurses who don't support each other and
women who don't support each other.  And, I think the nurses probably have
unresolved feelings about personal or professional negtive breastfeeding
situations.  It seems that possibly you have three things going on here: 1.
Jealousy that you have gotten a "better job". You are not doing "real
nursing" anymore; 2. Job frustration and 3. Unresolved negative feelings
about breastfeeding.  Some suggestions: 1. Have a session in which feelings
about breastfeeding are elicited, affirm feelings, etc. 2. Have a session
in which the staff nurses list the problems they identify that they have in
helping mothers with breastfeeding and brain storm solutions. Often, nurses
are reacting to the frustrations and the powerlessness they experience in
their jobs rather than being negative about breastfeeding. I conducted
focus group research a couple of years ago and found that most nurses
wanted to implement the "Ten Steps" but felt that lack of time, lack of
support from administrations, and lack of maternal knowledge were big
barriers. 3. Lastly, I would take their suggestions and make some short and
long range goals and a plan and a way to evaluate. Good luck!  Carol
L'Esperance, MSN, IBCLC