From:
heather welford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 May 1998 10:01:57 +0100
Dear Lacnet

One-sided over-supply...is this not a case of do nothing interventionist
(no herbs, no cabbage leaves), apart from support and reassure the mother
and follow the lead of the baby?  In my experience, this is quite a common
situation in the early days and weeks - rarely a real problem if we can be
laid-back about it. If the baby ends up only ever feeding from one side
because the 'poor' side is less-favoured, it doesn't really matter....okay,
the mum might look (when naked) just a bit larger on one side than the
other for a few weeks (at most) , but then both sides tend to  equalise.
Breasts work independently of each other in time. Frequently pumping 2-3
ounces on the over-supply side - more likely to exacerbate the situation,
yeh?  Unless the engorgement is really painful or lumpy - and of course the
mother needs to observe and communicate this - I'd be inclined to let the
body, and the baby's growing ability to cope with abundant flow, sort it
all out.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc UK