From:
Jeanne Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 15:43:24 EST
Karen and Jay,
I thought someone would surely write about this, but I haven't seen anything.
In the U.S., we refer to the "Australian Hold" as just about anything in which
a mom is leaning back, or lying on her back, and baby is tummy down,
breastfeeding.  Baby can be on the left breast, draped across to the right
side of mom's body.  Baby can be on breast with body draped midline on mom.
Baby can be on left breast, lying across mom's right shoulder.  (I'm just
using the Left breast as an example - babies and moms don't usually have a
preference.)

I learned last year on Lactnet that those from Australia call this "Posture
Feeding".  Whatever it's called, it's a useful tool to use for overactive
letdown or  abundant milk supply when baby doesn't seem to enjoy feeding in a
more conventional manner.  It's also helpful when trying to position the chin
or nose to a certain area of the breast when needing to remove milk from that
section.

Now then, for our Australian buddies - did I get the description right?  Would
you like to clarify?

I hope this was clear...
Jeanne Byler Mitchell