From:
Bonny Nothern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 22:21:30 -0500
Thank you for the repackaging of your initial statement about the recent
AAP breastfeeding guidelines. It seems like a slightly more positive
response. But I still have the feeling that the Big Picture is not clear
yet. National support for the right of every mother to breastfeed her child
as long as is physically and emotionally best for the dyad should be a
no-brainer goal of NOW. Unqualified support of that goal should be
recognized as a legitimate feminist issue. This business about not wanting
to make mothers who choose not to breastfeed feel guilty is just an
incredible waste of time. OF COURSE we don't want our sisters to feel
uncomfortable about their decisions. But the whole history of women
avoiding the opportunity to feed their children through their own bodies
has been rooted in male denigration of female activities. In every culture
where women have felt discouraged from breastfeeding, the issues have
revolved around women being told that they should  have a sexually
attractive and sexually available body. In this day and age, no one should
have to choose between breastfeeding and career any more than she should
have to choose between motherhood and career. The National Organization of
Women should be standing up and cheering for the AAP guidelines that
support our sisters' right to choose the best nurturing for their children.

How about if tomorrow you release another statement that applauds this
victory and doesn't muddy the waters with this foolishness about "guilt,"
O.K?

Bonny Cannell Nothern
feminist, who feels that whether or not I breastfed my children is nobody's
business. Whether or not I had my country's support for my right to choose
is EVERYBODY"S BUSINESS!