Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 19:46:01 EST
I just want to go on record with Marie saying that nipple shields usually work
for nipple confused babies very well.  I have used them with clients with good
results with term infants and post-nicu premies.  The newer softer flexible
shields don't cause the same problems as the old ones.  If anyone demands it I
can even produce a study published by one of the LCs at Evergreen Hospital
here in Washington.  I'll have to look for it so I'm not going to post it now,
but from memory it investigates weight loss or decreased output and the use of
nipple shields and found no correlation when managed in their clinic.

Cindy Neary RN, LE