Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 20:02:51 EST
We are revising our breastfeeding protocol at the hospital where I work and
one of the things we are struggling with is when it is necessary to supplement
the newborn who has not yet latched and nursed successfully.  A local hospital
here which is well known for being breastfeeding friendly has a policy of
waiting 24 hours before utilizing tube and syringe or cup feeding for these
infants (who are healthy with no known risk factors for sepsis).  Our current
time limit is about five hours after birth.
Does anyone out there have any literature citations or institutional protocols
that they can share?  How often do you do D-sticks on these infants?

TIA
Cindy Neary RN, LE
Breastfeeding is the Best Thing in the World!