From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 18:59:09 -0600
>It is recommended that breastfeeding continue for at least 12 months, and
thereafter for as long as mutually desired.

This is one of the most important sentences in the new AAP guidelines.  No
longer will any pediatrician be able to say that the AAP recommends weaning
at 12 months (the old guidelines, which said babies should get breast milk
for the first 6-12 months, were often misinterpreted to mean that 12 months
was the maximum).  The new guidelines are exquisitely clear that 12 months
is the MINIMUM officially AAP-recommended duration of breastfeeding.  And
"as long as mutually desired" means that the AAP says it is OK to be
breastfeeding your 8 year old.

Notice also the oblique reference to breastfeeding 3 year olds:

>During 6 months to 3 years of age, breastfed infants (and formula-fed)
require fluoride supplementation only if the water supply is severely
deficient in fluoride (<0.3ppm).

The new guidelines also explicitly blame ignorant doctors as one of the
primary obstacles to breastfeeding in the US.

I'd say this is a GREAT improvement over earlier statements.

Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology and Nutrition
Texas A&M University