From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 22:01:25 +0900
>Two years ago there was a big discussion on Lactnet re. kissing causing
>cavities in babies.  Does it or doesn't it?  Was there a definitive answer
>or is there anything new in this department?  Parents licking ("cleaning")
>pacifier before sticking it into baby's mouth -  does this introduce caries
>causing bacteria?

Anne, this has been suggested as a risk factor (saliva transfer)
particularly if the parent has untreated caries in her mouth. If she does,
she is likely to have high levels of the 'bad' bacteria that cause caries.
Only a minority of the population actually have these 'bad' bacteria, but
since most people don't know if they are one of them, it is suggested that
minimising saliva transfer from parent to baby (after teeth appear) should
be avoided. This doesn't mean mothers cannot kiss their babies - just kiss
anywhere except directly on the baby's mouth, I suppose. The main things to
remember to avoid are licking the pacifier to 'clean' it, and sharing a
spoon when feeding early solids.

LLL have a good article on their web site about dental caries at
http://www.lalecheleague.org/bfdent.html

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]