From:
NICHOLAS WILLIAMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 1997 13:32:49 -0700
I've been talking to a mom who had burning nipples at 2 mo, which went
away with positioning.  Then at 4 mo, the pain returned, and didn't
improve with positioning.  Third BF baby, usually weans after 18 mo, no
bottles, a little pacifier use.

She's been dealing with this for at least a month.  Nipples were "like
hamburger" and "discharging a clear body fluid" which caused her clothes
to stick to her.  When I looked, truthfully, I only saw redness, and
nothing as bad as I've seen in the past.

During that month, she's seen an LC who'd suggested using OTC meds. and
washing with baking soda.  Mom had used each separately, the OTC first,
then Nystatin she had, then Baking soda.  She finally made a paste of
the Baking soda and left it on, and rinsed her nipples before feeding
the baby.  The Baking soda had helped more than anything else.

I sent her to her Dr. to have her nipple pain diagnosed (and get
Diflucan).   I was thinking Yeast.  Dr. (OB/GYN) had never seen anything
like this, and even called in another OB to give an opinion.  They had
no idea what it was, (so didn't even charge her for the visit!) so sent
mom away with instructions to use a nipple shell for 2 days, if no
improvement in that time, then they'd try Diflucan.  Things got better
without the Diflucan, so mom choose not to call for prescription.

Mom developed an ear infection which required antibiotics. Things
initially got better, then worse.

After 6 weeks, mom quit using the shells, because she's "all better".
OTC creams did not help, nor did Nystatin, but finally, by just keeping
the nipples dry, aired and clean, the body was able to heal by itself.

Just a thought for those calls on Friday night at 6 PM....
--
Dayna Williams
Reno, NV