From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 21:55:16 -0800
In order to emphasize the importance of colostrum, I have recently started
explaning to moms that scenario that Dr. Markovich described about the use
of Q-Tips to collect and swab premies' mouths.  This is such a powerful
image that they have come back to me months later and told me that it kept
them "believing in the magic of colostrum" through those early days.

(without mentioning names) about the concern over my post with the healthy
newborn who didn't really latch until day 3...Usually, I don't start to hit
the panic button until day 3.  Remember what I said though...THIS WAS A
COMPLETELY UNMEDICATED BIRTH, with an educated mom being followed daily by
a midwife and well-networked into League.  I taught her how to get the most
colostrum possible into the baby and what to look for in terms of
dehydration.  If babies are drugged or have been under bili-lights, the
situation is quite different.  There is ample research supporting the fact
that we don't need to pump to cause the milk supply to come in as long as
baby is put to the breast.  Even just the licking action triggers a
hormonal response and in some moms, just the smell/phermones alone will do
it (think of the unfortunate cases of mothers' milk coming in when baby is
debilitated or is deceased).

If I do say so myself, I've now got quite a local reputation of turning
babies around from 15-19% wt loss in the first month after everyone else
has screwed around with the dyad relationship and has given up on them.
This kind of dehydration almost never happens in the first week (unless
baby is not getting a decent amount of colostrum AND/OR has been under bili
lights/blanket).  It didn't strike me as a remarkable feat to do this
(except for all the time and worrying I do), until three separate local
hcps pointed out their perception that I was a doing the unheard of--a sort
of bf hoodinee (sp).  It's horribly sad that I frequently don't get to see
these moms and babies until it has reached this point.  Many times, we can
trace the problem to the early intervention or introduction of technologies
such as pumps, formula and  glucose water bottles (yes, this is considered
a technology of sorts), bili lights, pacifiers, etc.

I go the feeling from several private emails that some of you consider my
views a bit radical.  First let me say, that I would never put a baby at
risk...and that means looking at the risks of intervening.  Second, I can
assure you that in the lactation field these are not rare among lactation
people who see the full range of bf experiences (not just PP or NICUs).
However, in the general medical field they probably are.  We are so quick
to intervene, and yet so slow to spend TIME and give TLC.  This strikes me
as being very similar to the C-section situation where some practitioners
believe that  it is quicker and less worrysome to just "section" instead of
trusting women's bodies, waiting, teaching alternative techniques, and
watching VERY CAREFULLY (not irresponsibly nor through substitute
technologies).  We do so much to undermine and then are so quick to rush to
the "rescue" with a magic bullet.
Thanks for listening...I'm a bit sensitive about this topic, as you may see.

: )Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC  email: [log in to unmask]   : )
: )HSR & Health Educational Consultant        voice/fax: 541 753 7340    : )
: )LLLLLLLLLLLLL**CHANGE THE WORLD, NURTURE A CHILD!**LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL : )