From:
Edie Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 20:58:19 -0400
Because I deal with many babies shortly after birth I have gotten so I
commonly position the mothers leaning back in about a 45 degree angle
(being in a hospital I have the luxury of having electric beds).
The infant is then put skin-to-skin across his mother's body so he is
almost face down on the nipple.  I always think the fact that he is
facing down may help his tongue come forward.  The way I get him into
position for latching on is by rolling him gently onto the breast,
avoiding touching his head with anything (at most can hold a pillow
behind his head).  I have seen an amazing number of babies become
aversive to their mothers breast in a very few days and think it is from
constantly having their heads repeatedly pushed on during attempts to
latch the baby on.  Some of the heads I see would make you weep!  We
need to be so very gentle with these poor babies.
Edie Armstrong