From:
Pearl Shifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 23:18:29 PST
Hi,all, thanks for your responses, both private e mail and to the list.
We do have pictures of nursing or nursed babies; the pumping thing is in addition...believe me, I don't think mothers need pumps to breastfeed. In
fact, I was not happy when I first started at WIC when I heard that
mothers had to be given "incentives" to keep them breastfeeding. One of
the "incentives" was a hand pump. I personally never used a pump, I used
to express right into a bottle as I've already stated on Lactnet, and I
absolutely needed NO "incentives" to breastfeed.
However, and as a Lactnetter said, whatever works. This is a different
population, and unless and until you've worked with them, you may find
it hard to understand.  I just have a gut feeling that posting the
number of ounces pumped will generate more interest in breastfeeding
here. In searching through the computer graphics at work, I came across
a "teardrop" shape, it *could* be a drop of milk! and I've decided to
use that for now, and fill in the amounts. I think the initials make it more personal, and I think that stating the amounts will be ok, it will
simply serve to show that a real person did this, no one will know who
I'm referring to by the initials, believe me, from a group of 2000
participants.
Let me just briefly tell you why moms have used  the pump, and I think
most of you will agree that this wasn't replacing breastfeeding or
undermining  breastfeeding: mom with sore nipples and engorgement, mom
who was away from baby while at WIC and needed to relieve engorgement,
mom with cracked nipples who was bleeding when using a drug store pump
and did fine with our electric pump, fully breastfeeding mom who pumped one breast while nursing on the other and who needed a good hand pump for
occasional mother baby separation while working part time at a
university, etc.
I don't think anyone would object to a hospital based LC program having
pumps available; I feel this is the same thing. Posting the number of ounces will serve to highlight this feature of our WIC program, and will
show that moms who have to  be separated from baby can still provide the
very best.
I found the responses very thoughtful and thought provoking. This is what
I come to Lactnet for! Thanks, you guys!
Best,
Pearl Shifer, IBCLC