From:
Joya Bezette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 22:27:29 -0700
Hi all;

Am working with a WIC mother. There is a preliminary story here, but will
side track it this time. She was hospitalized for some infection, baby fed
ABM ever since, dr upset because she is so obese, has high blood pressure,
and a family history of heart problems. The infant is about six weeks old.
The dr wants her to wean, go on weight loss drugs, loose the weight fast. No
thought of the infant. She is waiting to hear from the dr about thyroid test
results. I asked her a lot of questions about how she felt about all this.
She said he was scaring her, but she wanted to nurse her daughter. She is an
experienced bf mother. She was interested in relactation, (she can still
express milk), and working with the RD for a diet plan while bf. As I do not
know the details of this woman's medical history, am I out of line giving
her any hope to resume bf, against what the dr is saying? I have a mind to
call him and talk to him about what we do at WIC, and if the mom isn't in a
too critical condition, ask for his blessing to go with relactation, and the
RD's menu plan. He can keep track of her health on a regular basis. I'm new
at this, what do you think?

Thanks.

Joya Bezette
LLLL, WIC PC
Lactation Consultant (waiting for graduation)
So. Utah