From:
Larry D'Anna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:35:54 -0800
At 11:08 PM 11/13/96 -0500, you wrote:
><< Are there different drugs used during c/s that are safer in the newborn
>than other surgeries that are less safe, even for older babies? >>
>
>Lechia:
>
>  the difference is in the staff caring for the mother. meds are the same.

Most Cesarian/sections are done with an epidural (granted there is "X" set
of problems with this procedure - also done to most vaginal deliveries in my
geographic area).  Many other non obstetrical surgeries are one with general
anesthesia (which has its own "Y" set of problem that are often overblown).
Some Cesarian/sections are done with general anesthesia too.  They are
generally allowed to breastfeed as soon as mom is capable.

Reality is sometimes mom is not capable right away.  Shakes, nausea,
vomiting, pain all play a part.

The colostrum volume ingested by a newborn and the subsequent drug load if
there is a transfer is different than the mature milk volume ingested by a
baby even days older.  The newborn is also affected by whatever crossed over
transplacentally.

Staff does make a difference, as do knowledge levels but there are also
other real differences beyond staff and ignorance.

I've read if the mother is awake then she should be able to breastfeed
safely, but don't have books here at home so am not actually looking this up
anywhere.

-- Carla (just north of Washington, DC)