From:
"Jane A. Bradshaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 1996 01:57:29 -0400
Cindy,
Many of the mothers that rent pumps from my practice do get insurance
payment.  We have them tell us so frequently.  We have tried to get figures
on the number that actually are paid, but that takes a great deal of effort
and time.  I've noticed doctors offices have employees that do all the
insurance billing and paperwork, often a group of employees that do nothing
else.  I can't afford to pay someone to do this or even spend lots of time on
the phone to just find out if they were paid.   We found it took an average
of  2 to 4 phone calls per mom to get the information.  Often they had not
submitted for insurance weeks or months later.  Then it took forever for the
payment or notice of rejection to come.  The parents are busy and this is not
a high priority;  to let us know if they receive payment.
Sometimes the moms tell us, very disgusted, their insurance company put their
consult under "education" and they do not pay for "education", or that they
simply do not pay for breastpumps --  no explaination.  Hospitalized moms or
babies seem to get the most coverage.( again I don't have figures--wish that
I did)
Now that these new pumps are available that can do a really good job of
pumping, (excellent suction and cycling) it is reasonable, from the
professional point of view, for mothers to use them for medical situations.
 What we all are interested in is the pump doing the job that the mother
needs done, breast stimulation and emptying to maintain or increase
lactation.
How does other new equipment used for other medically related purposes become
acceptable to insurance companies?  Is there some kind of acceptance process?
(I doubt this or wouldn't we be hearing about it?)   Does each insurance co.
have to decide for itself?  It seems the companies still don't even do their
homework well enough to realize that we are doing them big favors, reducing
claims they have to pay for these little "patients".

Jane Bradshaw LLLL, BSN, IBCLC
Private Practice in Lynchburg, VA