From:
Toby Gish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 19:11:07 PDT
Hi all - I am glad that "the test" is over. Next year I
reach 10 years. I have a question. A kibbutz nurse called
about a mother who's baby is three weeks old and whose
bili is 17mg/dl. This is a 4th child and previous babies
also had prolonged jaundice...but apparently not at this
level. The baby was in hospital for a work-up and the
mother was advised by one doctor to stop breastfeeding for
two days and by another that she needn't if she didn't
want to. The baby, although very jaundiced, is thriving
and gaining well. The mother is very reluctant to go over
to bottles for two days because she was advised to do this
with another child and the baby refused to go back to
breast. As extensive blood work was done...it seems
premature to make any decisions until the results are in.
The mother and baby are both A+. My question is does
anybody have experience with a bili so high at 3 weeks? By
the way, at one point the bile dropped 5 points and than
started climbing again. I have never had a baby with more
that 12mg/dl at this age so I really don't know if this is
in the range of what can be expected. Lawrence and
Riordan/Auerbach don't mention levels in prolonged
jaundice. Sincerly Toby, who never stops appreciating you
all.
Name: Toby Gish R.N.LLLL.IBCLC
e-mail<[log in to unmask]>
"What is essential is invisible to the eye..."
    Antoine De Saint-Exupery