From:
Marie Schulte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 11:31:37 -0000
Thank you to all who sent references on osteoporosis.  I had read and
told this Mom about the study I saw in LEAVEN a couple of years ago that
showed that women who breastfed had some demineralization and then
remineralization after weaning. The consensus from the many sources the
family and I found was that the demineralization from breastfeeding was
probably a very minor part of the problem. The main problem seems to be
that osteoporosis is an unusual, but documented side effect of long term
Heparin use for a blood clot that formed early in her pregnancy. This
woman was also on bedrest (also because of clots) for quite a long time
and has been a vegan (no animal products) who probably didn't have an
adequate intake of calcium. She had many risk factors for osteoporosis:
pregnancy, prolonged inactivity, long term use of Heparin, being a thin,
white woman, inadequate intake of calcium. Breastfeeding may have been
the last straw in a very large basket on the camel's back, but not the
main problem. This Mom has decided to wean more because she can't lift
the baby due to her spinal fractures and concerns about the drugs she
will be taking in order to get better. She would like to try to relactate
when this acute situation passes.

This situation is such a tradgedy. This woman's concerns were ignored for
a long time. Initially, breastfeeding (such a bizarre and hazardous
activity ;-0) was the only thing that was being blamed. This family has
since switched to a more empathetic and breastfeeding friendly health
care providers. A bone scan, X-rays, and an MRI were finally done. Even
though she decided to wean (at least temorarily), she is making an
informed decision and not being ordered to do something that she feels
uncomfortable about. Her new doctor actually called Ruth Lawrence and got
more information. I will also relay the opinions of some that
breastfeeding may actually be helpful in this situation. There are a lot
of things to sort out here.

I just wish that nutrition and exercise had been emphasized earlier on!
Most of these problems could have been avoided or minimized if there had
been more information about what an adequate diet during pregnancy is.
Why are drugs and interferences considered necessary while nutrition is
often marginalized as an "extra"? This is one of my biggest pet peeves.

Thanks again to all who sent the wonderful information. I learned a lot.
Marie Schulte LLLL

Marie Schulte LLLL & MOM
from the computer known as
Visit the